Saturday, July 25, 2009

I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It’s so fuckin’ heroic.
- George Carlin {thanks Uncertain Grace!}

One of the things I love about Portland and Seattle is the fact that most roads and even highways are framed in green - - vines, trees, little tufts of grass peeking through concrete dividers. Green is everywhere and growing! Sometimes when I start to get borderline claustrophobic by the amount of asphalt and concrete around the city, I feel better knowing that the vines are growing longer day by day along the I-5 partitions. I also feel better knowing that times are changing; people are slowly starting to reclaim urban spaces in guerrilla gardening efforts. Wouldn't you just love to pass this sight on your way to work?

No comments: