Monday, August 24, 2009

racing in circles


I'm on the hunt for a bike and it absolutely frightens me. True, I enjoyed riding around Onion Creek when I was younger. But the last time I really rode around was about 8 years ago and, in case you don't know, I am the least coordinated person ever. Or at least in Seattle. My some-day mother in law offered me a spare bike to ride around on a few weeks ago to save me the expense of purchasing my own. After three miserable attempts to ride it I realized, happily, that it is a kid's bike. I guess what is sad is that I didn't realize that on my own. Anyhow, the philosopher loves to ride and has been pestering me to get my butt on a bike and head for the open trail with him. This has been going on for a while actually, this desire of his for me to ride. So I am grudgingly, yet a little optimistically, trying to face my fears and take up riding. The bitter-sweet thing about starting this new hobby is it necessitates buying a bike. (Bitter because road bikes are f*ing expensive - even on craigslist I can't find a road bike for less than 150$ and that is for an 80's bike - but sweet if I don't break my nose or my neck riding and have some fun.)

No comments: